Legal Name or Social Security Number (SSN)
- If you are a student and have never been employed by the University, present legal documentation (such as a social security card, marriage license, passport, or court order) reflecting your new name or SSN to Registration Services, 901 West Illinois Street, Suite 140, Urbana, IL, 61801, fax 217-333-3100 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. (Due to security concern, email is not recommended for SSN submission. Always include your student UIN when emailing campus offices.)
- If you are a student and current employee at any University of Illinois location, present your updated social security card as legal documentation reflecting the change to the person responsible for human resources in your employing Unit. In addition, review NESSIE for other places you may need to update your name.
- If you are a student and have not been employed by the University within the last 18 months, present legal documentation (such as a social security card, marriage license, passport, or court order) reflecting your new name to Registration Services, 901 West Illinois Street, Suite 140, Urbana, IL, 61801, or via email to email@example.com.
- If you are a student and your employment with the University has ended within the last 18 months, present your updated social security card as legal documentation reflecting the change to the appropriate Human Resource office listed below:
- Academic: 807 South Wright Street, Suite 420, Champaign, IL 61820
- Civil Service: 52 East Gregory Drive, Champaign, IL 61820
Note: If you are currently employed or were previously employed by the University of Illinois, the employee name on record with the University must be the legal name on record with the U.S. Social Security Administration. If it is not, both the employee and University may be in violation of federal tax laws.
Diploma Middle Name or Special Characters
Email firstname.lastname@example.org and include your UIN for these changes allowed on your diploma. If you need your first or last name changed, follow the instructions above for an official name change.
- If you want middle initial instead of full middle name, just send an email requesting that change. No documentation is needed.
- If you want full middle name, but University record reflects only middle initial, provide a government issued document or ID with the email request to show the full spelling.
- If you prefer no middle name or initial on your diploma, but your University record currently reflects one, just send an email requesting the removal.
- If you want special characters in any part of your name, explain in an email.
Preferred First Name
If you would like to use a name that is not your legal first name within the campus community, refer to the Preferred First Name page for more information and instructions.
Update your mailing address, phone number and emergency contact information in Student Self-Service on the Personal Information tab.
Update any non-University email addresses with an email request to email@example.com.