Changing Your Personal Information

Legal Name or Social Security Number (SSN)

  • If you have NEVER been employed or have not been employed within the last 18 months by the university

    • If you are a domestic student, then present legal documentation (such as a driver’s license, state ID card, social security card, passport, or court order) reflecting your new name or SSN to Registration Services using the contact information below.
    • If you are an international student, present your passport to Registration Services.

    Office of the Registrar/Registration Services
    901 W. Illinois St. MC-063
    Urbana, IL 61801
    (Due to security concern, email is not recommended for SSN submission)
    Phone: 217-333-6565
    Fax: 217-333-3100
    Always include your student UIN when contacting campus offices.

    If you are a student and current employee at any University of Illinois location, present your updated social security card as legal documentation reflecting the change to the person responsible for human resources in your employing Unit. In addition, review My UI Info for other places you may need to update your name.

    If you are a student and your employment with the university has ended within the last 18 months, present your updated social security card as legal documentation reflecting the change to the appropriate Human Resource office listed below:

  • System Human Resources Services
    Swanlund Building, 600 East John Street, Champaign, IL 61820

    Illinois HR
    52 East Gregory Drive, Champaign, IL 61820

    Note: If you are currently employed or were previously employed by the University of Illinois, the employee name on record with the university must be the legal name on record with the U.S. Social Security Administration. If it is not, both the employee and university may be in violation of federal tax laws.

    Diploma Middle Name or Special Characters

    Email  and include your UIN for these changes allowed on your diploma. If you need your first or last name changed, follow the instructions above for an official name change.

    • If you want middle initial instead of full middle name, just send an email requesting that change.  No documentation is needed.
    • If you want full middle name, but University record reflects only middle initial, provide a government issued document or ID with the email request to show the full spelling.
    • If you prefer no middle name or initial on your diploma, but your university record currently reflects one, just send an email requesting the removal.
    • If you want special characters in any part of your name, explain in an email.

    Preferred First Name

    If you would like to use a name that is not your legal first name within the campus community, refer to the Preferred First Name page for more information and instructions.

    Email and Other Addresses

    Update your personal email address, mailing address, phone number or emergency contact information in Student Self-Service on the Personal Information tab.

    Update gender on your official student record by presenting government issued documentation to Registration Services.