Access to Student Records

Learn more about who is allowed access to specific records and for what reasons.


An eligible student is a student who has reached 18 years of age or is attending the University. Upon written request, students will be given access to all records, files, documents, and other materials maintained by the University that have information relating to the student. Students may be asked to schedule appointments to review their records.

Students may not have access to:

  • Parents’ financial records (without written consent from parents)
  • Law enforcement records
  • Medical, psychiatric, or similar records in connection with the treatment of the student
  • Letters or statements of recommendation written prior to 1975. Recommendation letters written after 1975 may not be released if the student waived the right to inspect and review those letters and if the letters are related to admission to an educational institution, application for employment, or receipt of an honor


Parents may not have access to student records unless:

  • The student signs a consent form; or
  • The parent sends a statement in writing certifying that said student is a dependent as defined by the IRS. A copy of the last income tax form must be attached. If such a statement is received, the parent may order a transcript but will not have online access to the student’s record.  Transcripts may be ordered using the paper order form and are $8.00 per copy.


Parties who are not related to a student may have access to student records for the following reasons:

  • A student has authorized the release of information to another party with a written statement specifying which records are to be released and for what reason.
  • Authorized representatives of the U.S. Department of Education, the Office of the Comptroller General, or state and local education authorities request access as part of an audit or program review or to ensure compliance with student financial aid program requirements. This also applies to research firms working for said departments.
  • In response to a court order or subpoena after reasonable effort to notify a parent or eligible student (unless ordered not to contact the student by the court).
  • University officials and University faculty with a legitimate educational interest.
  • Officials of other schools or school systems in which the student intends to enroll, upon the condition that the student is notified of the transfer, receives a copy of the record if desired, and has an opportunity for a hearing to challenge the content of the record.
  • Teachers and other school officials (including other institutions) with a legitimate educational interest in the behavior of the student may be given appropriate information concerning disciplinary action taken against such student for conduct that poses a significant risk to the safety and well-being of the student, other students, or other members of the school community.
  • In connection with a health or safety emergency.
  • A victim of violent crime may be told the results of any disciplinary proceedings arising out of the commission of that crime.
  • In response to a student’s application for financial aid to determine the amount of financial aid, the conditions for the aid, the student’s eligibility for the aid, or to enforce the terms or conditions of the aid.
  • An organization conducting studies concerning the administration of student aid programs on behalf of educational agencies or institutions may be given relevant information.