Article 3 of the Student Code, Academic Policies and Regulations, states that instructors are required to provide an evaluation of first-time freshmen performance by midterm.
Midterm grades are required for all new first-time freshmen enrolled on campus for University credit. Midterm grades are not recorded on the student’s permanent record, but are used as advisory grades used for counseling purposes.
Before You Begin
Before entering midterm grades, all faculty members should:
- Review our Explanation of Grades for information on the Illinois grading system.
- Refer to the Grade Processing Schedule for the deadline to submit midterm grades.
- Establish an Enterprise ID in order to access Faculty Self-Service.
Midterm Grade Entry Instructions
Midterm grade comments are uploaded by the Office of the Registrar prior to enabling the midterm grade entry interface for instructor use. During midterm grade entry, the class roster will only display the students that are required to receive a midterm grade, based on the assignment of the midterm grade comment on the student's registration record.
Follow these steps to use the Enhanced Grade Entry interface:
- Login to Faculty Self-Service
- Select "Faculty & Advisor Services."
- Select "Faculty Services."
- Select "Enhanced Grade Entry (Mid-Term & Final)."
- Select the "Midterm Grades" tab on the grade entry page. A list of assigned courses that have students which require midterm grades will display on the page below.
- After selecting a section, the list of students that require midterm grades will display below the selected course. Midterm grades can be assigned to an individual student by using the drop-down box or by typing in the respective letter grade. (Only applicable grades can be entered or selected in this field.) Instructors that wish to enter midterm grades for multiple students can use the "Import/Export" feature located within the "Tools" tab in the upper right-hand corner of the grade entry page. Please refer to the Midterm Grade Entry Instructional Document (PDF) for additional information.
- Be sure to select the "Save" button at the bottom of the class list to submit the midterm grades that have been entered.
- Repeat steps 5 through 7 for each section that requires midterm grades to be entered.
Follow these steps to use the traditional interface for entering midterm grades:
- Login to Faculty Self-Service.
- Select “Faculty & Advisor Services.”
- Select “Faculty Services.”
- Select “Midterm Grade Entry.”
- Select a specific term and a specific class section to begin grade entry. You will not be able to access the class list if there are no students for whom midterm grades should be submitted. If the CRN is not displayed, contact your department.
- Students who need to be graded will be displayed alphabetically, along with their University Identification Number (UIN), number of credit hours enrolled, and registration status.
- To assign a grade for an individual student, use the dropdown box that appears in the Grade column. Only applicable grades will be displayed in the dropdown box. To assign a midterm grade for multiple students in each specified class section, refer to our Mass Grade Entry Tool Instructions (PDF).
- To save the grades you have entered, select “Submit.” It is recommended that you submit and save your grades often (it is not necessary to enter and submit grades all at once).
- Repeat steps 5 through 8 for each section that requires midterm grades to be entered.
Please Note: Instructors have the ability to edit or correct midterm grades that have been submitted through the grade entry system until the grade entry deadline published by the Office of the Registrar. After the midterm grade entry deadline has passed, instructors will not be able to submit or view midterm grades that have been entered for their respective students.
Midterm Grade Processing Reports
The following ViewDirect reports are available for college and department staff:
- Midterm Grades (SR1MGRA01B)—A student grade report listing all courses and midterm grades (if submitted) for all new first-time freshmen. This report will be indexed by college and sorted alphabetically by student. Data elements include the student’s:
- Phone number, email, and mailing address
- Department or major
- Course title, subject, number, section, and grade
- Credit hours, earned hours, attempted hours, and GPA hours
- Midterm GPA
- Midterm Grades Below C (SR1MGRA02B)—A subset of the population of students in the Midterm Grades report. Only students who received at least one midterm grade below a C will be included.
- Midterm Grades Below C Data (SR1MGRA03B)—A downloadable data version of the Midterm of Grades Below C report. Select demographic and GPA data elements will be included.
Midterm grade data will be in the EDW:
- MIDTERM Grade Comment—SFRSTCR_GCMT_CODE in T_STUDENT_CRS_REG_HIST – SECT_GRADE_BK_COMMENT_CD
- Midterm Grade Submitted by the Instructor—SFRSTCR_GRDE_CODE_MID in T_STUDENT_CRS_REG_HIST - CRN_MDTRM_GRADE
Users with Banner access to view registration records will have access to these reports. If you are unable to retrieve these reports in ViewDirect, please contact your Unit Security Contact (USC) to obtain access.