Massmail - UIN as Directory Info
To: All Students
From: Carol Malmgren, Registrar
Date: May 18, 2009
Effective Fall 2009, students need to be aware of a change to the campus definition of "directory" information. This change will be made to better serve students and to make business processes and academic support processes less cumbersome and more efficient.
Other specifics include:
- The list of items defined as "directory" information will be expanded to include the University Identification Number (UIN).
- This change is made in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
- Beginning September 1, 2009, the revised policy will be incorporated in the Student Code and in other policies that refer to FERPA. For your reference, you can review the current Student Code online.
- As in the past, campus units may disclose student directory information so long as those students who choose FERPA suppression are omitted.
- Students should expect small changes in the way staff verifies student identity. Staff will no longer rely solely on the UIN---additional verification must be used.
Questions about the new policy may be addressed to:
Office of the Registrar
This mailing was approved by:
The Office of the Provost & Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs